Whistleblower hotline: (213) 785-6098
mayorsam@mayorsam.org

Friday, May 30, 2008

"Meathead" raises money for Villar 2009 Campaign

Rob Reiner, aka "MEATHEAD" or "Trujillo's Former Boss, is calling on his Hollywood friends to raise "pesos" for the "TONY VILLAR in 2009" re-election campaign.

Reiner recently hosted a fund raiser that attracted the likes of Haim Saban, Casey Wasserman and surprise, surprise, Magic Johnson.
This early rush for cash is prompted by the rumors of a Rick Caruso campaign for Mayor.
Earlier this week Caruso confirm reports that various "civic interests" had approached him about him running for Mayor.
In an interview this week, Caruso -- the man who brought you the Grove and the
newly opened Americana at Brand in Glendale -- said: "I've been approached to
run by a number of people. I'm considering it. We need some changes in the city
and some strong leadership." If he decides not to run, he says, "I would be
happy to support anyone who would move the city forward."
If Caruso were to jump into the 2009 race, expect record levels of campaign spending for the job with a "third floor view".
.......but there is this in today's "Downtown Garment and Citizen".
VILLARAIGOSA STILL EYEING GUV’S JOB?: That’s the word among wags in Sacramento, who say Hizzoner remains confident that he could top what might be a crowded statewide field. That outlook comes despite Villaraigosa’s recent statement that he plans to seek a second term as mayor, they add. A win there would see him begin a second act in City Hall in a little more than a year. That’s less than a year before the 2010 gubernatorial primary—or right in the middle of the race by current campaign standards. The Sacramento chatter grew louder recently, when the political journal Capitol Weekly listed Villaraigosa as a potential gubernatorial contender, along with Attorney General Jerry Brown, Lieutenant Governor John Garamendi, Superintendent of Public Instruction Jack O’Connell, and San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, among others.

Labels: , ,

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Reiner's First 5 Funds San Francisco Yuppies

You may remember that Rob "Meathead" Reiner was the big proponent behind the "First 5" ballot measure which placed a big tax on tobacco in order to raise money for "early childhood education." Like most liberal plans gone wrong (aren't they all?) the First 5 program is turning out to be a big fraud.

I am sure most people who voted for the measure thought the money would go to low income children. But according to the San Francisco Chronicle, "Whether rich or poor, applicants can get up to $11,000 over three years for all kinds of activities from First 5 San Francisco, a local agency charged with distributing tobacco tax revenue to promote early childhood development."

The Chronicle reported a few of the items that were part of a $200,000 grant of the taxpayer money:

-- "Multi-Family First Time Camping Experience" included a camping lesson and overnight trip to Big Sur for six families.

-- "Couples Travel and Learn Together" included an overnight stay at the Four Points Sheraton in Pleasanton, where couples from Chinatown took marriage workshops. It also included $250 in Target gift cards.

-- "Families of La Piccola Scuola Italiana" included holiday party space rental and the purchase of a Babbo Natale (Italian version of Santa Claus) costume.

Even a liberal Berkley professor, Bruce Fuller finds issue with this, telling the paper that "Rob Reiner sold this as a way to help kids from low-income (families) - zero to 5 - have better futures," said Fuller.

Labels: , , ,

Advertisement

Advertisement