2007 Predictions Recap
1. Additional prosecutions in the "Pay to Play" cases.
Not quite. But Mayor Villaraigosa instituted a sort of new "pay to play" program in his efforts to take over the LAUSD. In the end, it was a bad bargain as instead of the whole school District, Mayor V got control of three schools, a new washer and dryer, a case of Z Brick and a gift certificate for the Spiegel Catalog, Chicago 60609
2. Neighborhood Council board members to face Ethics Commission charges on conflict of interest violations.
There certainly was a lot of fun this year around Neighborhood Councils, and certainly one in particular, so who knows maybe this prediction will come true in 2008.
3. Major shake up in top management at Los Angeles World Airports.
This one we nailed. And a reader teased the name of the new Executive Director here a good month before she was named.
4. Linda Boyd to be drummed out as Chairperson of LA Republican Party over her $5,000 per month salary.
This didn't quite happen but Boyd is allegedly no longer getting that salary and she and her husband Doug Boyd were bitch slapped by the State Republican Party.
5. LA County Supervisor Yvonne Burke to re-consider running for one final term in 2008.
Nope, Burke is retiring. But we were right that the two leading contenders to replace her would be Assemblyman Mark Ridley Thomas and Bitter Bernie.
And the predictions from readers (and some bloggers):
1. Zuma Dogg: City Council "Special Election" when one or more Counclimembers are forced to step down from their seat.
Nope, didn't happen.
2. Anonymous: Another (longshot) prediction: Richard Alarcon gets bitch slapped by Monica Rodriguez
Unfortunately this did not come true.
3. CD 14 folks will continue complaining about Huizar, but still vote for him.
Yes, and yes.
Recapping Captain Jack's predictions woud be a whole other post of it's own. But as far as I can recall, none of them came true.
Red Spot was almost Norstradamus-esque with the following, "'BLUE BLOOD' of political dirt will turn CD 14 into a 'SUPERFUND SITE' of negative politics." I'm not really sure how to parse that. Next.
And finally it was really more a dream than a prediction: "Big Surprise in 2007. Get champagne & celebrate new Republican office in CD14. Catfights from democrats give Republicans an opportunity to spread and recruit."
Feel free to post your predictions for 2008.