Whistleblower hotline: (213) 785-6098
mayorsam@mayorsam.org

Monday, October 25, 2004

Sending Out An E-Hug

Mayoral candidate Bob Hertzberg is all over the blogging world. He sent the following e-mail out noting the demise of Fourth Floor as well as the involvement of his staff in his blog.


Things have been busy at ChangeLA.com.

Thursday, I put up a posting about the cost of doing business in LA. We're falling behind in creating new jobs in this city and the current business tax system is a major reason for that. As we've seen in the last few weeks, the current Mayor hasn't been able to get the reforms done that so many in the community are calling for. I encourage you to go to the site and look at the map showing how we stand versus cities in the area.

To me, the most exciting recent development at the site has been the interest many of my staffers have been taking in posting on the blog. There have been posts from Ed Takashima, Matt Szabo, Adeena Bleich and Brian Hay. I'm proud of all of them for joining the discussion of the issues in LA. They have all had different experiences in life, in politics and certainly in working for me. I hope you'll get to know them.

Lastly, I've been thinking a lot lately about the role of the Internet on our democracy. Things have changed in politics in the last year thanks in large part to what is happening on web sites and in e-mail inboxes across the country. The best thing to come out of this has been the ability of people who heretofore have felt they didn't have a voice to speak about what they believe. That's why I was so disappointed with the recent news that the 4th Floor Blog, a site dedicated to the inner workings of LA city government, was calling it quits. I'm glad to see that new sites have sprung up to fill the void, because no matter who is on the City Council or who is the Mayor (especially if it's me!), the public should be able to see what goes on at City Hall. Transparency is critical and should be encouraged.

Please take a look at the site and, as always, let me know what you think we are doing well and what we can do better.

Bob


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Advertisement

Advertisement