Whistleblower hotline: (213) 785-6098
mayorsam@mayorsam.org

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Part of Their World

As a parting middle finger to community leaders in both Sherman Oaks and Van Nuys outgoing City Council member Wendy Greuel has supported an effort to rename a middle class section of Van Nuys as Sherman Oaks.  Apparently the folks in a lower priced Valley enclave are tired of telling folks at the Starbucks that they live in a Mexican neighborhood.

Neighborhood Council leaders ask why bother. The City developed a process for the naming of neighborhoods but have apparently denied the wishes of both the Sherman Oaks and Van Nuys Neighborhood Councils. Residents in the affected area who opposed the effort tell of harassment and retaliation by the pro-effort.  The effort, led by activist Laurette Healey, was a badly needed win for her following several failed attempts at office and heading up previous shady ballot measures that luckily failed at the ballot box.  So will Healey now run for Greuel's seat?

I've decided I'm going to follow the logic of the Van Nuys yayhoos.  I occasionally shop in Sunland Tujunga, I have friends there and I like the community. I would like the northern half of my home to be annexed to that community.  I'll file my application tomorrow.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said:

Welcome to Sunland-Tujunga MS! North Hollywood is so 20th century. Here you can be free, outspoken, and enjoy fighting the City of LA for constantly dumping on our beloved community.

June 28, 2009 11:42 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Time for South Sherman Oaks to split off. We could be West L.A. North.

June 28, 2009 11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Advertisement

Advertisement