Whistleblower hotline: (213) 785-6098

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Bitter Bernie: The Next Brandon Tartikoff?

Looks like Bernard Parks wants to be a television programmer.

First, he boots the excellent public affairs program, Full Disclosure, from the city's Channel 35. Now, he wants to tell Time Warner how to run their cable system.

Look bitterman, if enough of TWC's customers want the NFL Channel, the cable company will find a way to air it. We don't need you wasting the City Council's time on something as ridiculous as this. When by your own admission, crime is such an issue in your council district, its unfathomable you're even focusing on football on television.

Below is the text from Parks' own press release:
Councilmember Bernard C. Parks will introduce a resolution requesting the Federal Communications Commission(FCC) to ensure that the NFL Network be apart of the Time-Warner Basic Cable Television Package. The NFL Network was pulled off the air just weeks ago after Time-Warner took over two cable stations that served the Los Angeles area, Adelphia and Comcast. The NFL Network has since been put back on the air because of an injunction filed by the network. However, after September 3rd the NFL Network will go back off the air unless its officials can reach an agreement with Time-Warner. Since the status of the NFL Network has become uncertain, many fans of the channel have protested.


Anonymous Anonymous said:

I want my NFL-TV!

August 16, 2006 10:03 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

It's good to see my tax dollars well spent. Hey Bernie, lets make sure that Queer Eye for the Straight Guy doesn't get pulled either. Or maybe we can have Jackass put back on, oh wait a minute, it is on, check out channel 35 when the council is on. Thanks Bernie, thanks for allowing the hoodlums run free in my neighborhood while I make sure they don't steal my tv so i can watch the nfl.

August 16, 2006 10:26 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Los Angeles Man Charged in ICE Probe for Having Sex with Minors in Thailand
LOS ANGELES—A 57-year-old Los Angeles man who formerly worked as an English teacher in Bangkok made his initial appearance in federal court on charges stemming from an investigation by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) that he engaged in illicit sexual conduct with underage boys while living in Thailand.

Steven Erik Prowler was arrested in May 2005 by the Royal Thai Police in Bangkok after the police, acting on a tip, saw two youths leaving the suspect’s apartment. The boys, ages 15 and 16, subsequently told police that Prowler had paid them to engage in oral sex. Thai authorities contacted ICE agents in Bangkok immediately following the arrest. Thai authorities prosecuted Prowler for molesting the youths and he remained jailed on the local charges until being turned over to ICE last week.

August 17, 2006 12:15 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:


Firefighter Booked On Suspicion Of Killing Woman
(CBS) LOS ANGELES A veteran Los Angeles city firefighter was booked Wednesday on suspicion of murdering a woman whose nude body was found hours earlier about a quarter-mile away from his Eagle Rock home, police said.

The body was discovered on the street by a resident about 1:30 a.m. in the 5100 block of Loleta Avenue, said Los Angeles Police Department Officer Sandra Escalante.

Police followed a trail of blood, tire marks and body tissue that stretched between LAFD Capt. David Jaime Deltoro's Hill Drive home and the crime scene, and took him into custody for questioning.

The 50-year-old firefighter, a 23-year LAFD veteran, was interrogated at the LAPD's Northeast Station for hours before being arrested about 3:30 p.m., with bail set at $1 million, said Officer Jason Lee.

The victim was described only as a white or Hispanic woman in her 30s or 40s.

The cause of her death was pending an autopsy, but she may have been dragged by a vehicle, according to reports from the scene.

"The cause of death is not readily apparent. I did not see any immediate stabbing or gunshot wounds ... so we're going to have to wait for the coroner to be able to tell," LAPD Lt. Paul Vernon of the LAPD's Media Relations Section said from the scene.

"We can't rule anything out because we haven't seen the underside of the body ...," he said, adding that the investigation "will determine whether there's any kind of sexual assault involved."

August 17, 2006 12:22 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

LA jury: woman who ran over man she called 'road kill' was insane
Associated Press
LOS ANGELES - A woman who was convicted of repeatedly running her car over a Hispanic man she called "road kill" will be sentenced to a state mental hospital after a jury found her insane.

The panel deliberated for four hours Tuesday before returning its verdict in a retrial of the Sept. 1, 2000, death of Jesus Plascencia, 65.

Marie Elise West, 41, of Hermosa Beach was convicted of second-degree murder in November 2004 for running over the restaurant worker outside a Van Nuys bagel shop, but that jury deadlocked on whether she was sane at the time of the crime. The jurors also rejected the prosecution's contention that the crime was motivated by rac

August 17, 2006 12:24 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:


witnesses say he tried to help a black partygoer defend himself against suspected members of a Latino gang notorious for terrorizing blacks in Highland Park.

August 17, 2006 12:26 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Black-Hispanic gang rivalries send summer chill through LA area

By: Associated Press Wire Reports

LOS ANGELES - Alejandro "Bird" Martinez was joyriding in a stolen van full of fellow gangbangers when the crew came upon a black man parking his car _ and decided to kill him.

Martinez and two others hopped out and riddled Kenneth Kurry Wilson and his Cadillac with bullets from a .357 revolver, a 9 mm semiautomatic and a 12-gauge shotgun.

Four members of the Avenues, a Hispanic gang entrenched in one Los Angeles neighborhood, were convicted of federal hate crimes usually tagged on white supremacists. Prosecutors argued the gang was trying to drive blacks out.

The slaying was seven years ago, but the verdict this month was one in a series of reminders this summer that racially motivated black and Hispanic gang violence remains a Los Angeles reality.

While some police, academics and even gang members insist racism isn't a factor in the violence, a pair of headline-grabbing killings _ of a Hispanic teen by a black assailant who witnesses said yelled a gang name as he fled and a drive-by shooting by a pair of black gunmen that left three Hispanics dead _ suggest otherwise.

"If it's not race motivated, if it's not gang motivated, then what the hell is the motivation?" asked South Los Angeles activist Taylor Mayfield after the June 30 drive-by.

August 17, 2006 12:27 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:


sTate pulls rug over Whittier

WHITTIER waited patiently for about 115 years, living with a California state correctional institution in its "front yard," Whittier Boulevard.

Then, the state announced that it would be releasing the prison - The Fred C. Nelles Correctional Facility - back to private ownership once it was sold to a legitimate buyer.

In essence, Whittier would be getting the 74-acre property back as a revenue-producing and likely more aesthetically pleasing use. At last, the state would be selling back the property to a community development for Whittier's "good time served."

Whittier city officials and local residents got all worked up about the huge property, ideally located for community development, at last, being put to a community-friendly use.

A year was devoted to community planning and meetings preparatory to the state selling the property for development. Then, after considerable difficulty, a Los Angeles developer, Meruelo Maddux Properties, whose owner lives in Whittier, was ready to sign an agreement to pay the state $107 million for the property.

So voila! Suddenly, the state called off the deal so Nelles could be tossed back in the pot, as part of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's plan to come up with space for 60,000 new prison beds.

August 17, 2006 12:29 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Commentary: Saturated West Palm has condos on hold
By Alexandra Clough

Palm Beach Post Columnist

Sunday, July 23, 2006

It's not a pretty picture over at the 550Q condo project planned for downtown West Palm Beach.

The luxe condo with the artsy theme "is being put on hold until we can rethink market conditions," said Burt Minkoff, 550Q's sales director.

We're confident 550Q is a great project, but overconfident is not something we want to be," said Ted Przbyla, development director. "There's a lot of inventory (in West Palm Beach). We felt it would be prudent to stop and see what projects are not going forward, and see what's happening to the inventory."

Yes, what is happening to the inventory?

It's shrinking, that's what. In addition to 550Q, word is deposits are being returned to buyers of Palladio Terrace who are upset over the downtown West Palm Beach project's endless delays. Developer Homero Meruelo Jr. last week briefly assured this reporter the project still would go on and said buyers were recently "updated" on the delays. He referred calls to another official, who didn't return a call seeking comment.

Both Minkoff and Przbyla said 550Q might come back in a couple of months, after developers study the market. Things might look brighter for 550Q if more condo projects start tanking.

For right now, 550Q buyers can ask for their money back.

August 17, 2006 12:31 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Controversial SCI-Arc Lot Up for Lease

Developer Richard Meruelo has put up for lease the 25,000-square-foot empty lot next to the Southern California Institute of Architecture in the Arts District, according to Magnum Properties, Inc., the real estate brokerage representing the lot. The land, next to the school at 960 E. Third St., sparked a controversy between Meruelo and SCI-Arc. At one point SCI-Arc threatened to potentially abandon Downtown after Meruelo floated controversial plans to build a Miami Beach-style high-rise development on the property, but both parties have since backed off. Meruelo has a reputation for hanging on to land, as evidenced by holdings of his various companies and interests that total 100 acres in Downtown. The SCI-Arc adjacent space, which is up for month-to-month or longer lease in a single chunk, can accommodate M3 heavy industrial uses, truck and trailer parking, a recycling facility or storage.

August 17, 2006 12:31 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

There are already enough damn sports channels already! What a waste of Clowncil time as usual! Why don't they worry about how high the cable rates are if they want to discuss the cable issue.

August 17, 2006 6:27 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Mayor Sam it looks like the psycho mental case who is obsessed with violence is back cutting and pasting. GET A FUCKING LIFE MORON!!

Bitter Bernie is denial about the black on black crime in his district. That's why his constituents don't like him. They call him a "coconut." There are so many homicides in his area yet you will never hear him mention it cause blacks never like to attract negative things about their own people. BERNIE DO YOUR JOB

August 17, 2006 9:50 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Bernie Parks, Get Real!

August 17, 2006 7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home