Whistleblower hotline: (213) 785-6098
mayorsam@mayorsam.org

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Dollars to Donuts

What's up with overflowing trash cans in Sylmar? We've been copied on a number of unanswered emails from a community activist about local businesses that seem to want to make a mess out of the community. How can we cut crime and improve quality of life if these issues are not addressed? For Christ's sake, pick up the damn trash!

Bart Reed of the Transit Coalition and a North Valley community activist shares the following email to Maria Ventura, Sylmar Field Deputy for Council Member Alex Padilla:

Hi Maria:

Another 7 (seven) days has gone by since I wrote and told you that the trash bins are full. They have been over flowing and you have not even given me the courtesy of a written response. I think you owe the residents of this community your professional attentions and diligent actions. Please reply. It has been 14 days since the last pick-up.
Previously on Sept. 2, I wrote:
I just passed by the BSS White Bins at Miss K Donuts and Ross Liquor at 11:30 a.m. They were not picked up as scheduled yesterday and will be over flowing during the long holiday weekend. I would like this lack of collection addressed ASAP.

Thank you in advance for your diligent approach to constituent services. I look forward to a trash free weekend.

Previously on Aug. 25, I wrote:
Miss K Donuts trash overflowing AND NOT picked up today Aug. 25 as usually scheduled

I just walked by Miss K Donuts and Ross. Liquor. The BSS cans at Miss K are overflowing and the Ross can is at capacity. Normally they are picked up Thursday morning. When they are missed, it typically means that the route will pick them up in the next seven day cycle.


Frankly, I would like you to get back to me in writing with specific actions on how this is being resolved. Please advise me ASAP.

Additionally at Ross Liquor, the weekly bin pickup was today, but a lot of the overflow didn't make it into the trash truck, as it spilled all over the ground. Can you address this matter?

Previously I wrote you:
Miss K Donuts, 12431 San Fernando Rd. @ Astoria, Sylmar. This merchant is responsible for a significant volume of trash around the store parameter. On a field study this morning, I observed product wrappers everywhere.

Additionally. the two BSS White Bins are overflowing and need immediate pickup. Miss K depends upon the City to provide waste containers. I recommend that Miss K provide two of their own trash containers directly outside their exit doors and that they be required to sweep up trash several times per day in front of facility.

Also the landlord should provide daily commercial complex sweeping.

Be aware that Miss K continues to sell single cigarettes to minors and adults.

Please advise me in writing on specific action steps that you will take to resolve this situation.

Thanks,
Bart Reed, Executive Director
The Transit Coalition
Why can't the city deal with this? Trash pickup is the most basic of city services I would think. Here is the response from another Padilla staffer.
From: "Consuelo Gomez"
To: <>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 09:43:24 -0700
Subject: Re: Miss K Donuts and Ross BSS trash bins full AND NOT picked up as of today Sept. 09; usually scheduled

Bart,
If you recall, Maria told you in a e-mail that I was the one dealing with these issues. On August 26 we exchange e mails and in there I was telling you we got the extra trash container and also the trash was pick up.You reply to me thanking me for that so I don't know what is that you are talking about. I went by these locations this morning and saw the trash cans pretty full at the Ross Liquor location and very full at the Kay Donuts location. As soon as I got to the office I called the supervisor and notify him of the problem. He told me they were running behind due to the holiday on Monday. I asked him to please send someone to pick them up because they were full to the rim and pretty soon the trash will be on the floor. He told me he will try his best so I told him, we need them to be picked up.

Bart, I will appreciate if from now on, the issue with these containers will be send to me. I also don't know why you send it to the Neighborhood Council, we are just duplicating jobs and wasting resources. You know very well that everytime you had complain I had been taking care of this issue so I don't think is fair for you to say we are not responding.

I hope this information will be to your satisfaction.

Consuelo Gomez
Council Aide
Councilmember Alex Padilla
Now I can't say who is right here - Bart in saying he gets no response or Consuelo in saying that the issues have been handled when Bart makes a request. However, I wonder why Consuelo wants to keep the issue between her and Bart and not to inform the Neighborhood Council. We asked Consuelo for a reply but never heard back from her.

If its an issue the Council members find concern with, there should be no issue of them being aware. Sigh.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said:

If it is a private business, the City does not pick up the trash to begin with, right?!?

September 14, 2005 8:13 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

You should see the rest of the district. That's just a liquor store.

September 14, 2005 9:05 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Dear Bart,

Why waste the time of the council office with this crap? Did you try to contact the private businesses yourself and get it resolved? They're your neighbors for God's sake! And it would have taken less time than writing a letter to the council office.

Guess it's easier to pass the buck.

September 14, 2005 9:12 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Or kiss Antonio's Ass.

September 14, 2005 10:03 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

9:12

Isn't it the local elected officals job to bridge the relationship between business and the community? I'm sure Alex hit these guys up for a contribution. The community member to it upon herself to inform her council staff because they probably only come around every election year - especially Padilla's staff. If his staff was doing their job it wouldn't get this far.

September 14, 2005 10:06 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

10:06

Come to think of it, it's not the council's job to bridge business and community bridges. Businesses are presumably a part of the communities where they are located.

Believe it or not, most businesses will respond if simply asked.

Are you really "sure" Alex "hit them up for a contribution" or are you simply talking out of the other end of your . . . ?

Calling the council office to complain is, perhaps, one way to be a responsible citizen. Another more productive way is to find solutions for your community. Maybe even picking up the phone and calling the business yourself.

September 14, 2005 3:59 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Is there a reason that Consuelo Gomez's entire email is grammatically incorrect??? I understand email informality but this is an embarassement for the councilmember.

September 14, 2005 4:59 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Hey Bart...3-1-1! Let me know if you need operator assistance. I am sure Manny at Richard's office has plenty of time to help connect you.

September 17, 2005 12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Advertisement

Advertisement