Sayre Fire: Someone Must Pay
- 2600 acres
- 10,000 homes threatened
- 500+ firefighters and growing
- 12 water dropping helicopters
- 2 fixed-wing aircraft
- Countless homes and possessions already burned
- Citizens and firefighters hurt
- Pets and animals burned alive
- 0% containment
- Cost to the taxpayers: $million$ and counting
The fire started at Veterans Memorial Park. It probably didn't start itself.
Could have been a cigarette, a small cooking fire, a bonfire with drinking buddies, or a deliberate act by a sick individual or group.
Regardless, if someone with any cognitive ability whatsoever is lighting a flame in conditions such that we have now, they are knowingly threatening everyone's lives. Attempted murder, in essence.
- Major health cost to thousands from stress and air quality conditions
- Unknown cost in medical bills, loss of work time, or even permanent disability
- Unknown amount of repairable and irreparable damage to the environment
- Odds that the arsonist will be caught and prosecuted: very low.
- Typical sentence if caught: community service hours or less than a year of jail time.