Whistleblower hotline: (213) 785-6098
mayorsam@mayorsam.org

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Calling for our "BETTER ANGELS"

From the Long Beach Press Telegram

An 11-year-old boy was killed and a 20-year-old man was wounded in an apparent gang-related shooting in Long Beach Sunday night. The shooting occurred in the 2000 block of East 15th Street about 10 p.m. The victims were standing in front of a residence when they were approached by two suspects, police said. The 11-year-old and the 20-year-old did not appear to be related. Jose Luis Garcia Bailey, 11, was struck in the upper torso in the ensuing gunfire and declared dead at a hospital. The man was struck in the lower torso and is expected to live. - News report posted on presstelegram.com

By Dr. Mauricio Heilbron Jr.

I just finished sewing up a dead boy.
I pronounced him dead at 10:34 p.m. Sunday. It's now 11:27 p.m. I know I won't be able to get to sleep for a long time. I feel like I shouldn't.
I'm a trauma surgeon at St. Mary Medical Center in Long Beach. I was sulking in my call room on Palm Sunday because I missed yet another important moment in my 5-year-old son's life. A tarantula crawled all over him at his best friend's birthday party, and my wife had e-mailed me a glorious photo of this big, hairy arachnid on my son's face. The phone rings, and I am summoned to the ER for a "gunshot wound to the chest." That's bad, but around these parts, sadly not a surprise. Then the ER secretary adds, "... in a 12-year-old." That changes things a bit. As I hurry down to the Emergency Department, I out several horrific scenarios in my head - a mental exercise in preparation for what certainly was to be a difficult situation.

I arrive to a room filled to capacity with doctors, nurses, techs, volunteers, firemen, policemen and paramedics. The strictly medical people are swarming around an impossibly small figure, in a flurry of needle sticks in search of a vein, monitor-pad placement in search of a vital sign, stethoscopes vainly searching for a breath sound or a heartbeat. The non-medical personnel had formed a concerned and curious peanut gallery. One ER doctor blurts out the important points, "GSW to the chest, pulses in the field but ... ," while another ER doctor is prepping this small chest for an ER thoracotomy. In English, an "ER thoracotomy" is where you flay open a chest in a soon-to-be-dead patient, in the hopes of finding a hole you can quickly but temporarily fix. Once that is done, it gives you a chance to give the patient necessary things like blood and IV fluids (where they now will not simply flow out of those repaired holes), and get him to the OR so you can fix him properly. It is the trauma surgery equivalent of a Hail Mary football pass. This is not a "difficult situation"; this is a nightmare.

The ER doctor hands me the knife, as if to say, "Here. It's yours." I think the kid is dead, or if not dead, then he certainly is "unsalvageable," which is a horrible word to use for a human being. I don't think he's fixable. However, if he is to have any hope of survival, the only way to save him is to crack him open and try to plug up the holes. Cracking open an 11-year-old boy (he was two months shy of his 12th birthday) is going to tear my own heart in half, I think to myself, but this is part of what I do, so I slip the gloves on and take the knife.

There is precious little skin to cut through, and I'm in the chest in a few seconds. His chest cavity is filled with blood, which spills out of his chest like a macabre waterfall to the floor. There's a shredded tear in his lung, and a big, ragged hole in his heart. All the IV fluids that my associates are pouring into the patient are flowing out this hole and on to my shoes. I put my finger in this hole - such a big hole in such a small heart - but blood and fluids still flow unfettered. My other hand finds another, larger hole on the other side of his heart. My fingers touch. His heart is empty. Mine breaks.

The boy's family is brought in while I am bathed in his blood, as "studies have shown" that this is better for everyone involved, to be present as the end nears. I scramble for a way to just stop the bleeding. I just want it to stop. It's spilling over my hands on to the gurney. His mother is begging me to do what I can. I know I can't do anything. She tells me to take her heart, and give it to him. I know that's not possible, and she knows that's not possible, but she could not be more serious. The first ER doc is sitting alongside the mom, gently telling her that we've done everything we can do. His mother looks at me. My hands are still in the boy's chest, trying to do something, anything. In her eyes, I see a soul that I am about to crush with a little nod of my head. I do so.

As the howl of unimaginable grief shakes the entire ER, I am filled with anger. Why do we still sell guns in this country? What is this child doing on the streets after 10 o'clock at night? Why are we killing our innocent young soldiers overseas, and ignoring the merciless gangbangers - terrorists in their own right - that are invading ourstreets here at home? I try to put these thoughts away, because now, in front of his family, I have to sew him up. I have to close this huge gash in his left side, that I made. I place the first stitch, and as I'm tying the knot, I look at the boy's face. He's small for 11, not that much bigger than my son Ben. All the adrenaline is gone. My shoulders sag. I feel myself start to cry, and I know that I can't stop it. I have no way of hiding because literally everybody is looking at me, including his mother, and my hands are busy, so I can't wipe the tears away. I make eye contact with the mom, and whisper "I'm sorry." I finish closing his chest up, and shuffle off to the sink to wash this child's blood off my arms.
In the doctor's area, I start filling out the pointless paperwork. Several nurses and doctors come over to offer encouraging words, or a consoling hand on the shoulder. I want to quit. I don't want to do this anymore. I want to quit because that means I can go home. When I go home, I can quietly open the door to my son's room, and sit on the floor right next to his bed. I'll watch him sleep, that blissful sleep only found in young children. I'll watch him for hours, and tell myself how lucky I am to have him in my life. I want my son to put my heart back together.
But I can't go home, as I'm on call until 8 a.m. I can't quit. Tomorrow I have patients, surgeries, rounds - the usual stuff. Hopefully, I'll be home for dinner. When I come through the door, I'll hear his cheerful yell of "Daddy!" and he'll jump into my arms. He will in all likelihood never know how much that moment means to me, but it is precisely that resuscitative energy that will restore me. To keep coming back to this sort of work.

I will sneak into his room after he falls asleep. I'll give him an extra kiss good night. And then, just maybe, I'll close my eyes.

Dr. Mauricio Heilbron Jr. is chief of surgery at Little Company of Mary Hospital in San Pedro and a trauma surgeon at St. Mary Medical Center in Long Beach.

My heart weeps.......

Labels:

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said:

My heart is broken too.

March 19, 2008 12:43 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Are blogs now just simply re-printing entire articles from the media they are claiming to scoop? I didn't see the copyright information. Maybe you are trying to make it appear as though it is your original content.

What would you be saying if a newspaper copied an entire original work of yours and printed it without compensating you for your effort?

Why not just create your own original content with your own thoughts and ideas on the matter.

Maybe you don't have it in you and your only value is copying other people's actual work.

March 19, 2008 1:23 PM  

Blogger Red Spot in CD 14 said:

Memo to 1:23,

Tell that to Roderick.

March 19, 2008 1:41 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Tell the idiot at 1:23 to shut the fuck up. Only a real asshole would make a comment like his after ready such a gut wrenching story by the E.R. doctor, recounting the last minute of an 11 year old kid's life.

This is a story which should be copied and pasted on every blog and every newspaper in the country.

I am going to e-amil this story to everyone on my e-mail list.

We should make every city council member in Los Angeles read this story several times.

Los Angeles has become a city with no heart or soul, there are too many people who just accept this kind of death as part of Los Angeles living. The whole city should rise up in anger against every gang memebr in Los Angeles.

Too many people do not condemn their family members who are gang members, I always hear my son would never do this, a few of his friends might be gang members. I feel so ashamed of my own Raza for allowing the "varrio" mentality to corrupt the mind of so many young latinos. And we always want to blame someone else for this type of animalistic violence. Noboby put the gun in your hand and forced you to pull the trigger. Every Latino needs to look at his neighbor, friend or family member and no longer accept anybody who is a gang member.

Just in the last two weeks we have seen the worst of humanity from our jente. Time to start blaminng ourselves and not expecting solutions from others. First fix your own house then worry about outside influences.

March 19, 2008 2:53 PM  

Blogger don quixote said:

Heartbreaking story but great post RSCD14, this kind of tragedy plays out to often nowdays and when one just reads the news about another gang killing it becomes a blur and is usually just dismissed with a tsk tsk or an epithet.
But when one can read a story like the good Dr. wrote that details and illustrates the panic and blood and helplessness and the inconsolable grief of the family over such a useless death of an innocent it just brings it all home for the reader.
God bless the little angel and his family.

March 19, 2008 5:49 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I ache for parents of this child...but I know that it is the parents of the killers who allow
this type of behavior from infancy. I know we cant "abuse" children, but I would rather have a child a little "abused" and afraid of the consequences of life than having sired a killer or having lost a child of mine.

March 19, 2008 6:17 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Mayor VIllaraigosa,

What is happening in your sanctuary city? Could all the gang violence in Los Angeles have anything to do with all the Mexican street gangs in Los Angeles? The doctor is correct; Los Angeles is full of urban terrorists, many who are here illegally. When are the mexican politicos going to address this more than obvious fact. It seems like every day we are reading some story of the most horrific acts by mexican street gangs, but nobody wants to mention the obvious.

There was the recent Los Angeles story about a man being burned to death in the middle of the street in East Los. There were 20+ witnesses to this crime, all were too scared to testify against the terrorist mexican street gang who burned a man alive in the middle of the street in the afternoon.

http://www.dailynews.com/breakingnews/ci_8613237

Daily News Wire Services
Article Last Updated: 03/18/2008

Help sought to find killer of man set ablaze.

Sheriff's detectives will ask for the public's help today in finding the killer or killers of a man set ablaze with gasoline on Oct. 7, 2007, in East Los Angeles.
As many as 20 people are believed to have witnessed the attack on Marcial Sanchez, 52, who was set on fire about 6 p.m. that Sunday in the 3500 block of Cesar Chavez Avenue, a few blocks east of Evergreen Cemetery, according to sheriff's deputies. Detectives, however, were unable to find anyone who would admit seeing the attack. Today, they plan to make an appeal to the public in attempt to generate new leads in the case.

March 19, 2008 6:46 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

The adult mexican cholos killing other adult mexican cholos, are my heros. Si Se Puede !!!!

March 19, 2008 7:42 PM  

Blogger mary whoopee said:

Oh pu-leez--- Buck up,o liberal doc! Whaddaya want from me? More of my wealth taxed to fund stupid, futile inmtervention and prevention programs? Yeah, I thought so. Face facts: this kid was probably a future gang-banger waiting to happen. Now the idiotic city council is trolling for more parks and "green-space," i.e. more gang hangouts where these disgusting Latino and black gangs can fight, mug people, and knock up their hos and chola hoochie-mammas in the bushes. So Doc, opine all you want, but you're not gonna get me to wring my hands and say "my heart is broken." Takes more than a senseless gang crime to do THAT. P.S.Don't forget to send your bill to the shooters and to the irresponsible parents who spawned the little bastard.

March 19, 2008 7:51 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Who said Rita could blog here? Anyone have a sock for her to stick in her mouth? I wonder which pharmaceutical companies are profiting off of her?

March 19, 2008 8:03 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

It's heartbreaking, but also bad parenting. The mother sent the kid to a local store to buy her a donut?

This is like how they treat kids in Mexico. From about 5 they work in their parents' bakeries, restaurants, gas stations, everywhere, and you see them doing the real work until midnight. These little kids crawl up your windshield to wash your car, wait on customers while the parents sit and make out bills and count money, they bake and cook and sweep. And run errands.

That's bad enough in a small dirt- road town, but in a big city those behaviors can literally turn deadly. Some of these kid are already thinking about gangs and sort of messing with them, like the 13-year old killed picking lemons.

(Probably not this very slightly built, kid, though. How tragic.) But these people shouldn't come here and bring their primitive ways, it's bad for them and for society.

March 19, 2008 8:32 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Right on. No matter how bad the story is, the mother is a stupid retard who had NO business sending her kid out on the streets. Sorry.

I'm not agreeing with Rita/Wally by any means but I believe the blame lies with the parents.

My 17 year old isn't allowed out that late. My 12 year old? Yeah right. To get a donut for my fat ass? I don't think so.

March 19, 2008 9:29 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

8:03 asks
Who said Rita could blog here? Anyone have a sock for her to stick in her mouth? I wonder which pharmaceutical companies are profiting off of her?

Desenex for her crotch rot and Acme Veterinary Medicines for her Black Tongue disease

March 19, 2008 10:35 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Well I hope the animal nut haters start to get that she isn't the person that they hate. At least I don't think so. They've looked so foolish confusing her with the ADLLA'S arch enemy, (whose name I won't invoke and have them ruin a post since I don't like her either or her lawsuit or anything else about her.

But we need to drop it or they'll come ruin the blog. Including the one they hate.

But I hope they read these and wonder how they could have confused the two of them. They're from two different parts of town, there's about a 25 year age gap, and the one in Sunland-Tujunga isn't even an animal lover. How could she be? She hates everyone but herself.

March 20, 2008 1:32 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

The good Doctor is dead wrong about guns! It's not the guns that kill...it's the people who pull the triggers. A gun ban would be like putting a bandaid on a bleeding aorta...gangbanbers will get guns NO MATTER WHAT!

I, as a homeowner and parent, own a firearm to protect myself against the criminals. Why should I be forced to become defenseless when there is violence all around me???

But the main problem is MEXICO!!! We have to deport ALL anchors and illegals, PERIOD!!! They are bringing their corrupt, violent culture to our soil and destroying our country!

Just look at the Mexican mafia that's running LA!!! It's the culture, stupid! I am terrified, and so is everyone else in this city!

DEPORT ALL ILLEGALS AND ANCHOR BABIES!!! THEY ARE THE PROBLEM!!!

March 20, 2008 7:46 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

But the main problem is MEXICO!!! We have to deport ALL anchors and illegals, PERIOD!!! They are bringing their corrupt, violent culture to our soil and destroying our country!

Yes we in the USA knew nothing about violence and corruption until the Mexicans showed up!

March 20, 2008 8:17 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

The main problem is the violence done at all levels, most of it by gangs. The culture of extreme violence does not belong to any one group, but some of them do act regularly at extreme levels, deadly levels.

If you think about "road rage" you might see yourself at a lower stage of the violence spectrum. Yelling, cussing or gesturing at another driver for some mistake in driving (even your own) has lead to more serious actions.

Some of the most minor things have caused death and injury. Lots of drivers are just bad and clueless about driving, while others are rude and bullies, trying to save a few seconds off their trip.

If you get honked at, did you really need it? did you mess up? or is someone picking on you? insulting your right to drive as you see fit, regardless of rules and law? The response, if any, made at that moment can set off more problems. I leave it to your experience and imagination.

There is violence at all levels and across the ethnic cultures, some people promote it actively and others promote it incrementally and maybe unintentionally.

Many people don't care about what personal conduct means, but all that they do trickles down to how their kids will act, trained by their parents actions over time.

The saying, "The apple does not fall far from the tree" captures this idea. It applies to violence and to education, among other things.

Good parents make good kids and bad or missing parents make the rest.

March 20, 2008 11:49 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Maybe your parent should have taught you to drive and then you wouldn't have to worry about road rage so much!
Huh?

March 20, 2008 9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Advertisement

Advertisement