Whistleblower hotline: (213) 785-6098
mayorsam@mayorsam.org

Thursday, September 15, 2005

A Message from Rusty Hammer - LA Chamber of Commerce



RUSSELL J. "RUSTY" HAMMER
President & CEO

Sept. 15, 2005

Dear Friends, Colleagues, and Chamber Members:

It is with both great optimism and heartfelt emotion that I write to inform you today of important changes within the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce. As some of you may already know, I have been engaged in a battle against leukemia and a variety of complications resulting from this disease for some time. Your support and affection for me and my family has helped carry us through these difficult times. Equally important has been the support of the Chamber's Board of Directors and leadership, under the chairmanship of George Kieffer and Chris Martin during this period. They have treated me with the respect and compassion that should serve as a model for all employers.

I have done my best over these many months to continue to lead the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce as its president and chief executive officer. Through continuing to write the weekly Business Perspective, guiding our strategic direction, focusing on high priority projects, and continuing to build our Board and leadership, I have served the Chamber, its members, mission, employees, and our region to the best of my ability.

I had hoped that I would be able to return to work on a full time basis at the level of energy and commitment demanded of this position. However, the time required for a full recovery continues to be uncertain. For this reason, I have submitted my resignation as president and chief executive and have recommended that the Board begin a national search to recruit my successor. I have informed the Board of my decision, and they are proceeding based upon my recommendation. Until my successor is named, I will continue as president and chief executive officer serving the needs of the Chamber and our region, as I have since the day I arrived.

I was given the honor to lead the business community and the chamber of commerce in the second-largest city in America. During this period, the Chamber has enjoyed unprecedented growth and leadership. As a regional steward we have tackled the issues and challenges that will assure our future quality of life and economic prosperity.

Throughout my time in Los Angeles I have been blessed by many things; key among them have been the friendships that I know will last for years to come. While this decision is personally painful, I know it is in the best interests of the Chamber, myself and my family. I would like to thank you for your ongoing support for me and my family, and for the Chamber, as we search for a successor to take the reins of this great organization. I will continue to be involved with the Chamber in the months ahead and look forward to working with you as my tenure comes to a close.

Sincerely,

Russell J. Hammer
President & CEO
Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce

View today's press release:

LA AREA CHAMBER TO BEGIN NATIONAL SEARCH
FOR PRESIDENT & CEO; ANNOUNCES LEADERSHIP APPOINTMENTS

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I don't know Rusty,but God bless him and his family. I will pray for you and your family to continue having strength, clarity and faith. May God keep guiding your doctors into your full recovery.

September 15, 2005 1:53 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

That's bad and all... I feel sorry for Rusty.

But I do hope there is some "changing of the guard" within the chambers.

They need a shake up.

September 15, 2005 4:34 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Rusty is a good guy. The LA Chamber does need a little bit of help. I haven't heard as much from them as I used to, but I'm hopeful they can step up the game with the increasing redevelopment of Downtown LA among other areas

September 15, 2005 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Advertisement

Advertisement