Whistleblower hotline: (213) 785-6098
mayorsam@mayorsam.org

Sunday, November 02, 2008

SMSlate: Part Two - The People (OC)

My Picks for 2008:

Anaheim City Council: Lorri Galloway - I have received multiple mailers from Curt Pringle and Company against Lorri. Since Pringle is such a corrupted Disney hack, I don't even bother to cover him on OJ. Therefore, my enemy's enemy is my friend and I support Lorri. Harry Sidhu, who decided to attack immigrants such as himself in order to keep pace with the Pro-Prop 8 Mimi 'The Queen of Mean' Walters in his failed bid for the State Assembly, is listed prominently on slates against her, and that doesn't exactly help the cause. I offer no other endorsement in this race except to vote No on Gail Eastman and Harry Sidhu, who were both featured on one of the most recent anti-Lorri mailers.

Congress 40th District: Christina Avalos - As Art Pedroza would say 'Ed Royce es un Republicano de Bush.' That's all I need to know to vote against him.

Congress 42nd District: Ed Chau - He may not have much name recognition, money, or centrist political cred. He may be yet another candidate who chose to ignore my advice at his own peril, but anyone, and I mean anyone, is better than Gary Miller. To say he's a Bush Republican would be a serious understatement. Miller has been involved in shady deals and self-serving lawmaking for many, many years before Bush made it cool. Abramhoff, Libby, Cheney, Foley, Stevens... when will it be Miller's turn?

Congress 46th District: Debbie Cook - Ok, so in a recent debate, Dana Rohrabacher came off more calm and composed than did Debbie Cook, but as Vern pointed out: if you got that close to Dana, you'd really want to pull out the upset too. Dana is a proud Bush defender. Oh how I'd love to see him go.

Congress 47th District: Loretta Sanchez - If her opponent Rosie Avila is spearheading a theocracy, and Loretta is a Blue Dog Dem, well who do you think I like in this race? Total no-brainer. No on Rosie!

OC Superior Court Judge Seat #12: Debra Carrillo - Carrillo has a great record on fighting crime, an endorsement list as long as my arm, a commitment to civil liberties, and even though she did not receive my party's endorsement, it was due to a communication breakdown, not a matter of platform, so no biggie.

CA State Assembly 67th District: Steve Blount - It's the year of the change vote, and who wouldn't want to remove an ally of Van Tran and Chuck DeVore in Jim Silva?

Garden Grove City Council: Robin Marcario and Linh Ho - Despite my recent support for Andrew Do, both he and his boss OC Supe Janet Nguyen have seemed to go hard right with the reconciliation of the Trannies and the Jannies. Too bad, so sad. And of course, vote No on Paul Lucas!

Santa Ana: No Team Pulido

Mayor: Michele Martinez - I did a little grassroots work for her on the days of and before her visit from Becky Valencia, and considering how I've been patronized many times in the past due to what I call 'keep-away syndrome' (when one doesn't really want me on their team because I am so controversial, but also doesn't want me to work for their opponent because I operate like a blunt weapon) as well as the fact that neither Michele nor Valerie has called me since that night, I have to assume that I was expected to publicize the fact that Valencia attempted to sting her, although I was asked not to do so, so I didn't, and Art ended up with the story. I guess I passed the test.

City Council: Art Pedroza & Jim Walker - Well, isn't that obvious? Art is running against the Space Commander, and I personally helped encourage him to run, so... yeah. Jim Walker is running against Vince Sarmiento, who is a really nice guy compared to Busty or the evil Claudia Alvarez, but his is merely a proxy vote for Mayor Miguel Pulido.

SAUSD Board: Irene Ibarra & Valerie Amezcua - Two ladies who, like me, would have joined Trump's 'Street Smarts' team on The Apprentice both have done amazing things to help their communities. Irene is a small businesswoman who battled back from domestic violence to put herself in a position to help a lot of people. Valerie, who, as well as being street smart, has a college degree, works with troubled youth in the community. As a multiple-time domestic violence victim, I have the utmost respect for both of these ladies who make the city of Santa Ana a better place. Frankly, there are no big egos or hidden agendas here, so they both have my support.

... and finally:

President of the United States: Bob Barr - Ron Paul said it. I believe it. That settles it. It's time to vote for a third-party POTUS. While I'm disappointed with Paul's reluctance to be the King of the Libs, I appreciate that he believes there are advantages to having a third party in our system. Of course, he doesn't want to see the Republican Party falter, so he stays on that side of the aisle (unlike Joe Lieberman, ugh).

Barr may have impeached Clinton for the dumbest reason I've ever heard, lying about his private sex life, but he was just doing his job. He doesn't tout this part of his resume as much as he used to, probably because of the social commentary required to do so, and that's fine. I don't really see that as one of his career highlights.

Indeed, Barr represents a much more contemporary, aware, and incrementalist Libertarian Party than years past. His running mate Wayne Allyn Root, whom I've had the pleasure of meeting personally, is the poster child for the new 'alive, free, happy' Libertarian Party: a self-made gambler multi-millionaire and home-school father with the charisma of a Hollywood actor. Both of these men are evidence that anything is possible in a free society and that we don't have to continue to be cookie-cutter representations of the political dough... and that life truly is what you make of it.

Major Party POTUS endorsement: Barack Obama - Frankly, the lesser of two evils. Please, if there are any Gods, please don't punish us with President Palin. We still have rights in this country you know? In case you've forgotten, early in the vetting process of 'Hitler in Heels,' she was declared a 'Libertarian.' It's still unclear on what planet she would be so.

I used to love McCain for a lot of the same reasons that I love Ron Paul, but the fact is, he thought he couldn't win the election without the religious right, and now we'll never know if he was right because he sold out - he's an utter, absolute disappointment. Sorry McBush, this isn't your year, and at your age, thankfully it also isn't your lifetime.

SMS

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger JustSayAmy said:

What the heck are you talking about?

And if you're voting for Bob Barr, why are you choosing Barack Obama?

Have you heard that you have only one to choose for president? Or is this a made up game of Fantasy Football? "I choose Barr. But I'm also choosing Obama."

No, choose one. You get one vote. Like the rest of us. You can't choose a guy like Bob Barr, and then bandwagon it to choose Obama.

As for the Orange County thing, ask others on the blog if they care. I don't.

November 03, 2008 7:04 AM  

Blogger Sarah Michelle Spinosa said:

Whoa! Harsh! First of all, I only voted for Barr, but there are people who will not vote for a third party candidate. For those people I recommend Obama. I'm going to make a guess here and say you're a McCainiac. Good for you. Enjoy your beating at the polls.

As to the OC thing, for the last time, I was asked to bring OC politics to Mayor Sam's. Don't worry though, I write plenty about state and national issues too.

Thanks for your input. Not.

SMS

November 03, 2008 1:38 PM  

Blogger Cartoons said:

I can't stand it when someone makes a reference to McCain's age, and suggests that he will die soon.

It's like assasination for seniors.

Just stick to the issues, please.

November 03, 2008 1:47 PM  

Blogger Cartoons said:

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 03, 2008 1:47 PM  

Blogger Sarah Michelle Spinosa said:

Donna -

I'm only talking about one man, not an entire community, and that one man happens to be running for President of the United States. His VP is an inexperienced, fascist airhead. So yeah, you're right. Age is irrelevant.

SMS

November 03, 2008 1:59 PM  

Blogger Michael Higby said:

JustSayAmy -

Didn't you post here that you weren't going to read this blog anymore? I thought you were going away? Don't worry, lots of folks are addicted to Mayor Sam, I can see that you are too.

We're glad that you're here to offer your well thought out, mature insights.

However, a significant portion of our readership is from south of the 562 (otherwise known as Orange County Amy) and Sarah was asked to bring her expertise here as us LA CO folks don't know that territory enough to enlighten our readers.

November 03, 2008 2:46 PM  

Blogger Michael Higby said:

Now, Sarah, why the hell would you vote for Barr when he's got to be the most conservative, anti-choice, anti-gay freak out there?

Barr et al are the reason I don't officially go to the Libertarian side though in my heart of hearts that's what I am. There isn't much difference between a Libertarian Convention and a Star Trek convention and until there is I have to stay away. Larry Elder came to the same conclusion.

The last time I looked, the Libertarians were nominating ferret rights activists who spit on talkradio hosts for state office. Yea, they're going places.

November 03, 2008 2:48 PM  

Blogger Sarah Michelle Spinosa said:

Michael -

Barr has changed his stripes on social issues in recent years. I know, I know, he hasn't been in office for years, but he intends to lead the party on our new path. I do too as I'm already helping LPCA Chair Kevin Takanaga plan our next moves.

You guys ain't seen nothin' yet!

SMS

November 03, 2008 3:33 PM  

Blogger Anonymous said:

Donna:

McCain's age is an important issue.

First, accurial tables give him a 1 in 3 chance of dying in his first term, and that means Palin takes over. If Biden is correct that some bad people in the world will test Obama, the new guy, sometime next year, imagine how they would test Palin, and what she would do. I can just picture her, as the missles are flying over her, explaining that it's just God's will.

Second, today's ABC poll showed that more people will vote against McCain because of his age than people who will vote against Obama because of his race.

If it turns out to be an Obama landslide, maybe someone will invent the term "the McCain Effect" to describe those who couldn't bring themselves to vote against a 72-year-old but wouldn't tell that to the voters.

November 03, 2008 4:08 PM  

Blogger Cartoons said:

The idea that the President is a lone figure at the helm of the ship, like Leo in Titanic, is certainly romantic, but not true anymore. Whoever the leader is will get plenty of input and support, so on the chance Palin ever gets there, I'm not too worried.

I thought McCain was given a wonderful bill of health. Is that wrong? Certainly the actuarial tables are for the AVERAGE age person, not one in tip top health.

But in any case, Sarah was not talking about McCain as Pres. She pointed out that his lifetime is almost over, so he might as well give up. No running for anything, not even PTA. That's mean and ageist.

November 03, 2008 6:43 PM  

Blogger Sarah Michelle Spinosa said:

Donna -

Read it again. I said he won't be POTUS in his lifetime. Why do you insist that there is something wrong with that factual statement?

SMS

November 03, 2008 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Advertisement

Advertisement