Whistleblower hotline: (213) 785-6098
mayorsam@mayorsam.org

Monday, November 03, 2008

California egg farmers are prejudiced against Mexican and Chinese eggs.

This is certainly not to take away from Antonio's excellent post below on this topic, but to add to it.

I wrote about Proposition 2 a couple of months ago in my Griffith Park blog, and again today. Here's an excerpt:

I wrote in my cartoon blog about how I take my canary for a walk these days. He’s near enough to a window to get fresh air, but for him to go outside is nirvana. Can you imagine how the breeze feels against his feathers, ruffling them, tickling his skin?

I’ve had him for 4 years, and now, for the first time ever, he is trying to sing!!

Most farm animals will never feel fresh air on their skin, let alone a breeze. That’s farming for you! Yes on Prop 2 would fix this, at least for a few animals....

The Times doesn’t like this - says it would outsource egg farmers. Well, yeah, if they were little helpless children, and don’t know how to run a business or change the simplest thing, like move one side of a cage...

Oprah had a whole program devoted to this, and my favorite part was when a chicken farmer said that if this law passes, all chicken farmers will go out of business, and California will have to import its eggs from Mexico and China! Boat or plane? I can’t wait to see the packaging on them. I can feel some new cartoons coming on…

The part that I hate the most: this won’t go into effect until 2015. This is TOTAL pandering to those wimpy farmers.

Photo from East Bay Animal Advocates.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger solomon said:

The LA Times should've consulted with Dan Sumner, author of anti-Prop 2 report. When asked about egg production being outsourced to Mexico,
he replied:

"I personally think that's unlikely...Mexico doesn't produce much feed corn and that's why Mexico isn't a logical place for production."

November 03, 2008 7:27 PM  

Blogger Unknown said:

Wonder why Mexico doesn't produce
much corn (anymore)?
http://www.mindfully.org/WTO/2003/US-Corn-Subsidies27aug03.htm

November 03, 2008 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Advertisement

Advertisement