Whistleblower hotline: (213) 785-6098
mayorsam@mayorsam.org

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

LAFD Firefighter killed in the Line of Duty

One firefighter was killed and another hurt in a "manhole explosion" near LAX.

Details are still sketchy at this time, but footage on local T.V. show extensive damage to a DWP Credit Union office.

Sadly this comes just days after the 10 year anniversity of the lost of City Fire Helicopter # 3 at Griffith Park.

This from the son of one of the three firefighters who died in the crash as posted on the LAFD Blog

The Eternal Scar by Nicholas Reiner
March 23rd,an ordinary day, just one to forget.Maybe for
you, but not for me, not yet.
I was changed that morning, changed in my soul and my heart,
A morning for me that will stand apart
My Dad died that day doing what he did best Saving lives without much rest.
The helicopter--the cradle of life had rudder failure and started to descend.
The girl in the chopper dying, my dad and others gave a hand to lend.
The aircraft was lost, my Dad lost with it.
I was thunderstruck, shocked, and utterly sad
That my life had taken this turn because of the loss of my Dad
I didn't know what to think, or say
I experienced nothing but sadness that horrible day
.I was left without a father to guide me on my way.
Left without a leader, I began to sway Back and forth with a question I had Why did God choose to take my Dad?
Why me, why him, why o why?
What would my life be like if he were here, alive?
How would I have been, what would I have done?
Would I have been a good or bad son?
I'll never know, because I can't change the past
This is why my memories and prayers must last
One of his favorite quotes was "Always take the high road".
"Well, when I think of him I ponder this quote.
And I think that if he died to save then I can stand up and be brave
Face my fears, and take up my crosses
Accept hardship, and deal with my losses
I am scarred forever because he died Unable to forget what is contained inside
This wound, once open and throbbing without control Now silent, numbed, a deep meaningful hole
Eternally present, once only pain,
Now death gives way to hopeful gain
A tear, a smothered cry, anguished undenied
Find here a knowing, a caring and warmth supplied
The day is gone, the scar will stay
His courage, now mine, will lead the way.

Our prayers go out to the families of the two fire fighters and to the whole LAFD Family.

Post your respects at the LAFD Blog

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said:

It's tragic that this hero died, but stop waste blog space with this poem!

It pushes everything else down!

March 26, 2008 6:58 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

At least it pushed Valley Dolls Obamagasm out of the way.

March 26, 2008 7:08 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Common Red Spot. Drop the boo hoo hoo threads. That's not why Mayor Sam has you around. You just don't get it.

March 26, 2008 9:04 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

9:04 and 6:58 are cold hearted ass-holes !!

Red Spot there is nothing wrong with posting this poem. The fireman was a local fire-man who lost his life in service to the city.

March 26, 2008 9:07 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

That's a beautiful poem. I was just at the Hallmark store and they had a wonderful greeting card about the CRA and another one about Hazard Park.

March 26, 2008 9:55 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

What jerks, to be posting snide comments about a heartfelt poem on a thread about a dead firefighter.

What concerns me also is the epidemic of bursting manholes. Well, two I know of recently, anyway. Another one blew up a month or so ago right next to Tokyo Placa and Moca/Geffen, a day after I drove down that street.

What's with all the pressure under our streets? Could any of us get blown up anywhere in town?

March 27, 2008 12:30 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Aw, who gives a fuck about pressure under the streets or exploding manholes? Let's just build on top of all of them. We have developers who need their money, damn it.

Don't you hicks get it? We have mortgages in Malibu to pay for.

We're not from "LA". We live by the beach in huge houses and it's not the city of LA so we can enforce our zoning codes here. We have our own schools, so we're smarter than you. It won't hurt for a few of you to go.

You must understand how we need to make money to maintain our lifestyles, which are more important than most of yours. With all due respect. Well, your city allows us to get what we want. All we have to do is contribute to their campaigns or somehow sneak them a huge gift. God, we laugh at our beach side barbecues at the stupidity of the city who allows us to damn well build over earthquake faults, unstable mountains, fill soil that will eventually give. What are they thinking? Who cares? We're good over here in our town.

March 27, 2008 3:13 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

What is outrageous is DWP spinmasters and DWP President "Panty-Ass" Patsouras sounding off before the body has arrived at the funeral home. Until the LAFD and officials have a chance to complete their investigation, why would Patsouras spout his mouth off? What a jackass!. I'd bet there are plenty of firemen who would like to give that ignorant jerk a piece of their mind. May the heroic fireman rest in peace.

March 27, 2008 1:39 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Our Firefighter's death should have been on the front page of the Daily News, but, I guess the D.B.Cooper's possible parachute and a cultural program was much to important to to be premepted by a Firefighter who put his life on the line. So, he is on the bottom of page 3. Disgusting! My condolences to his family and co-workers. Those of you who are dissing this thread, may you never need Rescue 911!

March 27, 2008 8:33 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

For those of you lame enough to waste your venom on the Fireman's son's poem, wake up. The fireman and paramedics clean up everyones bad work and don't deserve your comments. When you need them I bet you wont be spouting off like this. Be nice and maybe something good will happen to you so you won't need to go back and forth like hens.

March 27, 2008 8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Advertisement

Advertisement