Whistleblower hotline: (213) 785-6098
mayorsam@mayorsam.org

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Maybe I Should Get Lloyd Levine to Pass a Law: Sprint Sucks

I don't often write about my own personal experiences but tonight I had an experience in how customer service generally sucks.

I recently acquired a BlackBerry 8830 from Sprint. In a lot of a ways it's a pretty slick device.

Would you know, just a day or two before Sprint's 30 day exchange period the phone started having some problems.

So I went to a local Sprint corporate store in Studio City but was told that I needed to go to a repair center in Panorama City. However they were closing soon so I wouldn't make it in time.

This evening, as instructed, I went to the facility in Panorama City. I was told that because it was now past the 30 day period, I would not be able to exchange the phone but pay for it to be repaired.

This was a by a slovenly metal faced clown who was more interested in strictly adhering to whatever he thought was the rules rather than what the store manager told him to do to take care of me.

To my relief, the store manager took over the situation and it appeared the matter would be resolved. After waiting for metal face to take a personal call on his (working) cell phone outside, he took the manager to a back room following which she returned and said she couldn't replace the phone unless I paid $85 as the phone was now on it's 31st day.

I wasn't going to pay to fix a phone I just got, so I left deciding to pursue it through other channels.

Though I felt totally victimized by this monster corporation of whom I've been a customer for years, I still don't feel its the role of the government to "protect" me. If I want I can tell Sprint to stick and switch to any number of other phone providers. And I can pursue it through other channels at Sprint.

So sorry Lloyd, no need to fire up your laptop.

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said:

*
*
*
*
California utilities (like Sprint) care about the CPUC. File a complaint there, and Sprint might face the music. Cingular just had to pay megabucks for similar crap.

September 11, 2007 10:10 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Get over yourself. Don't you have anything better to share with the public?!?!?!?!

September 11, 2007 10:45 PM  

Blogger Mayor Sam said:

10:10 I am sure you mean well but that's exactly my point. I don't need the CPUC to solve this problem.

I can handle it in the private sector.

September 11, 2007 11:04 PM  

Blogger Mayor Sam said:

1045!

Yes! Maybe! Perhaps! Who Knows!

Stay tuned.

(Get your hands out of your pants.)

September 11, 2007 11:05 PM  

Blogger Olga Hall said:

I am glad you are pursuing this issue. These companies are very powerfull and is very hard for most of us that live such a busy lives to pursue these issues and we end up paying. But we must start making this issues public and CPUC is an agency that it is paid by our taxes to police these companies. If these companies were ethical CPUC would not exist.

September 11, 2007 11:42 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Sam, you need to buy the damn insurance. Its like 5 bucks a month.

September 12, 2007 5:46 AM  

Blogger Mayor Sam said:

546 I did buy it, actually it's $7. The dumbasses didn't put it on my account. Though after 7 months its diminishing returns because the deductible is $50. I guess most people keep their phones about 12-18 months these days.

September 12, 2007 7:43 AM  

Blogger Mayor Sam said:

Olga you seem like a nice person but we have to learn to take care of ourselves. We can't expect the government to do it for us.

September 12, 2007 7:44 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Ya shoulda gone with Verizon!

September 12, 2007 12:42 PM  

Blogger Red Spot in CD 14 said:

GOOD BLOGGIN AFTERNOON !!

Sprint Sucks !!

When my contract is up, I will switch to Verizon. I been in the "WOODS" the last few weeks.

September 12, 2007 1:32 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I wonder if Mayor Sam sat on his cell-phone before losing 170lbs, because no cell-phone is built for that type of ass load.

September 12, 2007 1:34 PM  

Blogger exit said:

Sprint winner of the worst CS award year after year
Prepaid is the only way to go
Discover prepaid you will never go back to contract
There are more then 30 prepaid service providers

September 12, 2007 1:37 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Had a disaster with Spring as a business phone provider. They overcharged by many thousands, then refused to adjust the bills after many, many calls and a letter, and when a supervisor finally agreed to, it still took over a year of battles to actually get my money refunded and the black mark on my credit removed.
They sure are aggressive with marketing and their promises, though.

Today's LAT has a warning article about how all these companies, especially when you buy a service bundling tv, phone and internet, collect and sell personal data about you and how you use these services: who you call, what you watch on tv and internet, what you buy. Big Brother is here.

September 12, 2007 1:47 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

This is the reason that Consumers Reports gives Verizon top marks and the others failing grades. Go after the bastards. thanks for sharing. there will now be less of us using Sprint!!!

September 12, 2007 6:53 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Verizon sucks too. They lock you into a two yeasr contract and don't tell you when it rolls over, so that when I went to switch to another provider, they said it would cost a couple of hundred bucks to get out sooner. And if you run out of your monthly minutes, buying extra costs more than at many other providers.

September 12, 2007 7:28 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

7:28, so get a plan that gives you extra minutes. You can wheel and deal at Verizon, unlike the other providers.

I haven't gone over my 800 minutes in a month yet, and I've been with Verizon ever since Airtouch was bought out by them.

Tipping my hat in Red Spot's direction.

September 12, 2007 9:01 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

"You can wheel and deal at Verizon?" What, like an Algerian bazaar? In my experience, most customer reps are very inexperienced and don't know what they're talking about, and make promises they can't keep, or tell you they can't do what they can. Great, I'd rather have clarity.

They are notorious for rolling you over into two-year plans without telling you, sticking you with that two hundred-dollar cancell. fee. Do you work for Verizon? I hate them. All the services have something wrong with them, just a matter of who sucks the least.

September 13, 2007 9:57 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

9:57 - No, I don't work for Verizon, but you apparently work for Cingular, who took over AT&T. That was quite a merger. Poor quality equipment corporation buys out another corporation with poor phone service, and both companies expected better results?

September 15, 2007 1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Advertisement

Advertisement