Whistleblower hotline: (213) 785-6098
mayorsam@mayorsam.org

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Good Times At City Council District 6 Debate

The candidates were really super. They all had "real" jobs, and sincerely seemed to give a damn about their community. They restored the faith of yours truly in democracy, plus, I drank the NC Kook-Aid and now believe we must -- I hate this word -- "empower" the NC's one way or another. Details later.

For now, some notes about the debate:
Candidate for whom I would vote: James “Jamie” Cordaro.
Interesting commitments: all three promised to push to repeal Special Order 40, to break away from the LAUSD, and to let parents opt out of public school and instead receive vouchers. (You see what you can get politicians to agree to if you just ask the right questions?)
None promised, unambiguously, to vote against increased density. (Oh well, three out of four....)
Cordaro proposed -- and the others concurred -- that only homeowners should vote on bonds, because they bear the brunt of bonds. That's probably unconstitutional, but it sure makes sense.
All three feel crime is totally out of control.
All three fault Cardenas for being unresponsive to constituents -- "call my office."
All three, as noted above, were impressive and sincere. I'd trade any three current members for these three.
Cordaro favors free spaying and neutering, rather than killing dogs. Pit bulls -- or maybe just one -- bit his wife.
The audience asked really good questions.

But the big news is that your favorite bloggers, Zuma Dogg, Walter Moore and The Honorable Mayor Sam himself got together for a group photo, shown here. I'm hoping we look better in person, and that the picture suffers from cell-phone-pretending-to-be-camera distortion.

9 Comments:

Blogger Walter Moore said:

LOL

March 01, 2007 11:53 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

March 02, 2007 6:45 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Watch out Mayor Sam, Tofu Girl might get excited to see how handosme you are!

March 02, 2007 8:31 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

MO, LARRY, and CURLY of MAYOR SAM

March 02, 2007 8:40 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Awww...Higby deleted the post cause it outed him!

March 02, 2007 8:57 AM  

Blogger Mayor Sam said:

Sorry, one of my fellow bloggers must have deleted it and I thank them for their kindness, however I can take the slings like the rest of us.

But you're absolutely right - though I have never put on a dress - I would make an ugly woman. But perhaps you do better at this? (Actually no since my Mayor Sam magic powers tells me who you are and I can say we'd both be a coupla butt ugly broads).

March 02, 2007 9:52 AM  

Blogger Mayor Sam said:

Yea, whatever happened to Tofu Girl? Is she still eating granola up in the woods?

March 02, 2007 9:53 AM  

Blogger Walter Moore said:

I delete especially stupid comments directed at my esteemed colleagues, and I DOUBLE delete especially stupid comments directed at ME.

Criticism is fine, especially if it's on the merits of an argument, but name-calling is so . . . beneath the high standards of this learned body of scholars.

March 02, 2007 1:24 PM  

Blogger Walter Moore said:

I do like the "Mo, Larry and Curly" line, however. THAT's funny!

March 02, 2007 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Advertisement

Advertisement