Whistleblower hotline: (213) 785-6098
mayorsam@mayorsam.org

Thursday, October 12, 2006

UTLA President Apologizes

By Jennifer Solis

In a long, rambling editorial published in the current UNITED TEACHER, the monthly newspaper of the Los Angeles Teachers Union, president A.J. Duffy apologized for several leadership mistakes during his year at the helm of the 48,000 plus labor organization, one of seven LAUSD unions.

“We had some great successes despite some technical mistakes we made along the way. All I can say is that this has been a learning year. And I want to assure everyone … that this leadership team will improve.”

As for the secret deal with Mayor Villaraigosa to support AB 1381, Duffy explained that the union “was walking a tightrope. When the opportunity arose to come to a compromise [with the mayor], we seized upon it.

“I was faced with a dilemma: [whether] to walk away from being involved in monumental change, or involve UTLA as a partner in creating that change.

“So where did I go wrong? I did not involve you … the Board of Directors or the House of Representatives (the union’s policy making body). And that was wrong. And, believe me, I’ve learned. I feel your anger. And I am mindful that … it will guide me in the future.

“I heard your complaints by phone, by e-mail and often right to my face. And you know, even when it’s directed at me, I love the passion our members can bring to bear on the issues they care about … I stand here and make a solemn pledge that I will never again disregard the important role that the Board of Directors and House of Representatives plays.”

Later in his editorial, Duffy discussed the current contract negotiations with the LAUSD, and promised district-wide rallies, with possible job actions, “including an all-out strike if it becomes necessary.”

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Don't give him another chance. Duffy's is an arrogant, power hungry, pitchman who has no respect for even the teachers he represents. The UTLA was caught even ripping off it's own membership with those "endorsed" retirement funds.

Ref: (http://lacowboy.blogspot.com/2006/04/los-angeles-school-teachers-union_25.html)

October 12, 2006 10:12 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Duffy was supposed to be a tough guy... He began blinking before AV even showed up. He simply resign, everyone makes mistakes. He had his chance.

October 13, 2006 7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Advertisement

Advertisement