Wendy Buys Five More Cops
Anyway, "Everyone Knows It Wendy" Greuel has so far come up with enough dough to hire only five police officers in her grand savings scheme, reports today's Daily News. Its not that the idea is a bad one, in fact, its the best way. Cut the damn fat and you'll have plenty of clams to hire more coppers. She just needs to work a little harder. She has offered up a few ideas like selling ads on city vehicles (okay by me) and streamling some various tasks, but you got to go further and you will have to piss some people (yes, unions) off in the process.
Here are Mayor Sam's ways we could achieve the dough (or at least get on the right track):
- Outsource the DOT including more of their bus drivers, the meter collectors, etc. Put some of the enforcement positions back into the Police Department where those people could also help with public safety.
- Eliminate the Department of Cultural Affairs, Human Relations, Immigrant Affairs, etc. These are all functions that non-profit organizations can handle. You might only save enough here for 25 to 50 cops, but hell that's an excellent step in the right direction.
- Implement Richard Alarcon's plan to bill the harbor, LAX and DWP for security.
- Outsource the Department of Aging completely to the wonderful non-profit organizations such as Valley Interfaith Council, Jewish Family Service, etc. who already do most of their heavy lifting for them.
- Cut each council office budget by $200,000 as a token effort to provide at least two more officers per CD.