Whistleblower hotline: (213) 785-6098
mayorsam@mayorsam.org

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Getting Screwed by the DWP

I know what your thinking, "so what else is new" right?

Well maybe but this is one thing that just burnt my toast and I figure if Mayor Sam can complain about Adelphia, I get to rant about being ripped off.

It started yesterday morning when I had to cash a check at the DWP Credit Union. Yes, I could have deposited it into my own account but then it wouldn't have cleared for days and well, I have bills to pay.

The check was for $3,000.00 and seeming how my bills equaled $2,994 bucks this seemed like a logical and convenient move. So imagine my surprise when the woman behind the counter tells me that they charge to cash a check, at a BANK! Cashing this check was going to cost me 30 bucks. Now I know that some banks are claiming to be customer friendly by offering "free" this or that but c'mon, charging people to cash a check? That just crosses a line. Which one I am not sure but a line has definitely been crossed.

As if banks aren't making enough money as it is now they have the nerve to charge people to cash a check. That just isn't right. That's ok though, I performed a little civil disobedience.

See, one of the bills that was due was, you guessed it, my DWP bill. So instead of them getting 274 bucks they had to deal with $244.00. Yea, I know, the victory will be short lived as they try and charge me a $30.00 late fee next month but damn it, I had to do something.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said:

I like your writing style John. Laughing my ass off. I can picture you stomping out of the bank fuming!

June 22, 2006 1:22 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

so what's the difference between the credit union, and one of the check cashing places? I see why the illegals use that fucked up looking, supposedly armor plated van to cash their checks. There is no difference. That, and they van does not ask for ID.

June 22, 2006 5:56 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Inflation

June 22, 2006 7:10 AM  

Blogger Matt said:

1% isn't all that bad, though it sucks to lose the $30.

June 22, 2006 4:45 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

1% sucks for a bank. They already make enough money in other ways.

June 22, 2006 8:26 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

This is the DWP Credit Union right? They did the same thing to me... sucks.

June 23, 2006 12:58 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said:

You are asking the financial institution to take the risk that your $3000 check is good without any reward? Perhaps if you asked a manager of the credit union to waive the holding period he/she would have done so. But then again, you wrote the checks before the money was deposited into the account. If those checks had come in without the money, you would have been paying a fee for each bounced check.

June 27, 2006 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Advertisement

Advertisement