David Markland, why do you hate the Girl Scouts?
ABC7 reports some 40,000 boxes of Girl Scout Cookies remain unsold in Los Angeles.
Girl Scouts have been selling cookies as a fundraiser for nearly 90 years. Profits earned from the sales of cookies fund an amazing number of programs that really develop the young girls into leaders. Its the very best of volunteerism and civic involvement. An interesting fact, is that though Girl Scout Cookie sales is a nationwide tradition, all of the profits earned locally stay locally with the regional council and the local troop. The national Girl Scout organization earns it revenues from a license fee paid by the bakers contracted to manufacture the cookies. Also, the cookies are trans-fat free. The Girl Scouts' website has a comprehensive FAQ about cookie sales.
If you want to help the Girl Scouts reach their goals and buy some more cookies, visit Valley of the Doll or Valley Doll's Twitter page for updates later. Or you can go to the Girl Scout Cookie Booth Locator by clicking here.
Here are a few selected booths operating the rest of the weekend (there are many, many more)
- Ralphs at Ventura and Vineland in Studio City/North Hollywood until 6:00 p.m. tonight
- Western Bagel at 19500 Plummer in Northridge until 5:00 p.m. tonight
- Trader Joe's at 9290 Culver in Culver City until 4:00 p.m. tonight
- Bristol Farms at 606 Fair Oaks in South Pasadena from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. tonight
- Studio City Farmers' Market at Ventura and Laurel Canyon from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Sunday