Whistleblower hotline: (213) 785-6098
mayorsam@mayorsam.org

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Hot Saturday Night Hotsheet

Looks like the Mayor here brought his gavel down on comments for the weekend. Just a guess, but if MayorSam thought it was necessary to do so, it speaks very poorly for a small handful of abusers of the privilege. I'm sure comments will be back (also a guess, but I know I for one love them and will do what I can to bring them back to you, as I'm sure the Mayor wants to as well).

° ° ° ° °

In the interim, if you feel a need to say something to the blog or about the City or the Mayor or Zuma or Captain Jack Sparrow (clearing his throat) or 80 Fake Neighborhood Watches or anything at all, drop me a line while I'm walking the halls this holiday weekend at aguyinla@gmail.com and I'll see what I can do.

° ° ° ° °

The CRA is quietly but aggressively acquiring SRO-styled transient housing downtown, the Downtown News reports. Evan George says: "Those projects, deemed by city officials to be crucial in battling homelessness, would otherwise be difficult to acquire for cash-strapped housing providers, backers said."

Related: I had another take on the CRA's involvement with transient housing downtown a year ago, when the issue was the transient hotel moratorium---but it'll cost ya at this point. The abstract of my op-ed says I said something like "The CRA's guidelines are actually meaningless from hotel to hotel, even from floor to floor, because SRO hotels can, with the right kind of hall monitor, demonstrate that some of their floors aren't transient at all. In fact, some floors in these buildings are cushily affordable enough that a handful of CRA employees can (and do) reside in them." (Emphasis added).

Wow, that's quite an accusation, even for the fishwrap of record, let alone that scribe. Of course, that scribe has been known to be a bit uncalibrated...but he still wishes some print scribe would follow up on that, just to confirm what everyone in City Hall seems to laugh at. Wouldn't it be funny if the CRA were acquiring properties for the "transient"---and the "transient" hotels included floors cordoned off for some of their own employees? Selling it as transient housing to the public while treating some of it as workforce housing is not full disclosure.

A year ago, I also called the downtown's "containment zone" policy schizo, and to me it remains so. The CRA's sotto voce hotel grab will only perpetuate the containment zone policy into perpetuity.

° ° ° ° °

We broke the news last night that Animal Services Commish Marie Atake has resigned, citing differences with Ed Boks and the Mayor's Deputy Chief of Staff. It's not in the fishwrap of record or anywhere else this morning. Maybe tomorrow? I guess City eds are out of town too.

Labels:

Advertisement

Advertisement